The “Write” Space

(Ha ha. Oh, puns.)

This is where I was writing for a long time:

IMG_9717

I have a really cool desk, but since I work from home and spend all day sitting at that desk and staring at a computer doing a different kind of writing than the fun kind, it’s not exactly the place I want to sit and do creative writing at the end of the day. Plus, the bed has all those comfy pillows to lean against.

One problem though. When I sit on my bed to write, seems like I have a really hard time focusing. (Candy Crush, thou evil temptress!) So when Jordan told me that this marketing guru guy, George Lois, suggests doing your creative work “comfortably in a formal setting,” I applied that in my own way and appropriated our recently acquired reading chair as my official writing space:

(We still use it as a reading chair too.)

(We still use it as a reading chair too.)

I really didn’t think it would make that big of a difference, but oh boy it so did. It’s like when I sit in that chair to write my brain knows that it’s writing time and not play time, and I focus so much more easily. And I get excited to sit down and write because I know it probably won’t be as much of a struggle as it used to be.

Plus, as an added bonus, I can usually fall asleep better now because when I get in bed my brain knows it’s sleep time instead of create time.

Advertisements

6 thoughts on “The “Write” Space

1. Juniper says:

Your living space is adorable! And I know what you mean about your brain ‘knowing’ it’s time to work or sleep. My doctor once advised me to only use my bed for sleeping so that it would be programmed into my head that when I was on my bed, it was time to get sleepy. I’ve tried applying that to my writing space as well – only using a certain space when I plan to be productive. So far it’s helped!
    Also, Candy Crush is the worst. It’s a black hole, I swear it! 😛

• Rose Card-Faux says:

Ha ha ha. That is the perfect description of Candy Crush. I can’t even explain why it is so addicting, but it is. It’s such a simple thing to keep certain spaces for certain activities, but for some reason I never thought about it before. Now I’m a big proponent. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by!

2. Kathy Cowley says:

I think I need a writing space. Right now there’s a particular spot on the sofa that I always write in, and for now that’ll have to be enough because we have neither space nor funds. I can’t write on the bed at all, and if I do I can never fall asleep that night.

• Rose Card-Faux says:

Yeah, I actually wrote on the bed again the other night because that was where my power cord was and I was feeling lazy. Really hard time sleeping. Theory proven? I think so.
      Also, another reason I used to write on the bed was lack of funds for any other comfortable place to write. Finally we had a little extra and we bought the reading chair. Every time I look at it or sit in it I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. BTW, how do you manage to keep your writing going now that you have kids? Because it sounds like you are working at your writing pretty consistently and that is something I would like to know.

• Kathy Cowley says:

Well, I wasn’t writing, and then after my first kid I got postpartum depression. Which sucked. So now I just force myself to do it. Some weeks I only get a few writing days in, but most weeks I’m 5 or 6 days. I just make it my pivot point, that if I do nothing else at all, I will write. I can’t really write when they’re awake, so I’ll think through scenes. And then during nap time or right after I put them to bed, I’ll try to write like the wind. And I can normally get 500-1000 words a day. And since I’ve been doing it consistently, it comes a little easier (or I try to convince myself of that).

Hmmm. I didn’t write yesterday or today. Maybe if I write tomorrow, then tomorrow will go better.

If you ever needing a beta reader, I like exchanging manuscripts, so let me know.

• Rose Card-Faux says:

Yeah, I worry about the postpartum thing, and the having any time (or energy) as your kids get to walking stage thing. I like the way you do it. I already use a lot of my non-writing time to think through scenes too, so maybe I will be in good practice by the time I have kids.

Since you offer, I probably will use you as a beta reader. Hopefully I’ll have a good segment of my book ready for beta reading sometime soon. Don’t be surprised if you hear from me then. 🙂

And same goes for you. If you want me to read anything, let me know.