Hunger Games: Still Haunting my Dreams

I finished the Hunger Games a few days ago and it is STILL stuck in my head. Last night it was all mixed together with dreams about writing/living Queen of Attolia fan fiction.

Suzanne Collins really trapped me in Katniss’ story. Can I tell you how melancholy and on edge I felt while reading it? And the other dreams I’ve had…anyway, let’s just say that overall the series was really well written–enough to still be getting to me.

It left me feeling satisfied even though it’s such a dark story. Despite all the heartache it puts the reader and the characters through, I felt like it ended almost exactly as it had to end. (I’m sure there will be people who completely disagree with me on this, but this is my blog, so there.)

Here are some memorable moments that happened as I read. Warning: there will be SPOILERS.

Book 1: The Hunger Games

• Having trouble seeing Katniss as anyone but Jennifer Lawrence, although everyone else in the story looked different in my head than they did in the movie.
  • Crying my eyes out when Rue died even though I already knew that was going to happen and I thought I’d guarded myself against getting emotional over it.

Book 2: Catching Fire

• Laughing out loud over the following quote because even though it’s an awful sentiment, in the context of the story it really is stinking hilarious: “All I wanted was to keep Peeta alive, and I couldn’t and Finnick could, and I should be nothing but grateful. And I am. But I am also furious because it means that I will never stop owing Finnick Odair. Ever. So how can I kill him in his sleep?”
  • Innocently looking up Hunger Games on Twitter and in one awful glance learning things I didn’t want to know yet. (Though this did make it easier to deal with things when Prim died.)

Book 3: Mockingjay

• Thinking over and over again, How can she kill off so many of her characters like that? It kills ME to do it in my own writing. (Of course, a lot of the deaths in Hunger Games did feel justified by the story, but there were SO MANY.)
  • Finishing the book while sitting in the middle of Guitar Center, riveted to the words on the Kindle page and forcing myself not to cry over how sad Katniss was, all the while pretending to listen to my husband test some guitar effects pedals. If I had started crying I can only imagine what the crowd in there would’ve thought. Or maybe girls crying in Guitar Center happens all the time?
Me entertaining myself at Guitar Center. "Plunk, plunk, plunk," is what my playing sounds like.

Me entertaining myself at Guitar Center. “Plunk, plunk, plunk,” is what my playing sounds like.

• And lastly: I started to read The Scorpio Races the next day and realized that every time it introduced a likable character, I was telling myself “this person is going to do die” in order to prepare emotionally for the fictional blood bath that may or may not be waiting to happen in this new story. Maybe, just maybe, Hunger Games traumatized me a little bit.

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Hunger Games: Still Haunting my Dreams

1. renbeth says:

I’m glad you liked the books! I loved them. I read them before the movie came out, though. How did you feel the movie worked as an adaptation?

• Rose Card-Faux says:

Good question! I need to watch it again, I think, before I can fairly answer that, but the one thing that stood out to me from what I do remember is how little the Peeta of the movie resembles the Peeta I imagined as I read the book. (Not that the kid wasn’t a good actor.) Usually with movie adaptations, I don’t mind so much if they stray from the book as long as they retain the essence of the story while making a movie that feels complete in and of itself. And for some reason the differences in the Peeta of the book and the Peeta of the movie changed the story a lot for me. I’ll watch it again and get back to you. 🙂 How did you feel the movie worked?

2. Liz Muir Busby says:

Hunger Games is pretty much the only instance where I think the movie is actually better than the book. I personally loved the story of the books, but felt the written voice was off. Mainly, I didn’t like the first person perspective: in order to maintain the idea that the protagonist might die, Collins was forced to write in first person present-tense which is just plain awkward. So many forced flashbacks to get the tale told. Yucky, messy verb tenses.

The movie allows us to see a lot more of the “bad guys” and thus carries the plot much more convincingly. I do miss some of the plot points that have been cut out (ie the avoxes, the two runaways in the next movie), but overall, I think the lack of viewpoint constraint made the movie way more watchable than the book is readable.

• Rose Card-Faux says:

That’s a really interesting thought. I’ll have to think about it when I watch the movie again, which I’m totally going to do soon. It’s interesting too that you didn’t like the present tense narrative. Did it push you out of the story too much? I’ve noticed I tend to write in present tense lately, so maybe it didn’t bother me because my brain is working like that right now. I suppose there were times where it felt a little clumsy. Can you think of any stories that use present tense where you thought it worked? I’d be interested in your thoughts on that.

3. Nae says:

I read the books about two years ago and had a hard time putting them down. And I completely agree with you, they ended the way they needed to. As frustrating as it was to accept the sadness, there are some things you don’t recover from. At least not in one lifetime. Katniss had a perfectly understandable character and I loved/hated that.

When I read the books I was weepy to the extreme (I like to think because I had just had my first child) and they haunted me. For that reason I haven’t seen the film. Should I?

• Rose Card-Faux says:

Ha ha. I get weepy no matter what these days and I don’t have child bearing or birthing to blame it on. As far as seeing the film goes, I’m pretty sure it will make you weepy too, but maybe since it’s been two years since you were immersed in the story it won’t be as bad? I have trouble remembering my immediate response to the movie, actually. After I watch it again I’ll give you a more concrete thought on whether I think you should watch it. 🙂